Friday, May 7, 2010

Dear Mama

I don't know a stronger woman than my mother. I'm not just saying that, I really don't. I am the person I am today because of her. I feel like I owe it to her to do the very best I can. My mother has struggled so much her entire life from being the second oldest in her family of eleven & raising her mother's kids; to raising SIX of her very own kids by herself! She never once complained about the struggle that came with it. She did EVERYTHING she had to survive and feed her kids. and she did it with dignity. She is the most loving, supportive person I know, and I know I can always count on her. The best thing she ever taught me is to work hard, to never give up. She taught me to never ever take disrespect from anyone, especially a man. She never put a man before her kids, never even brought anyone around us. She taught her daughters that we can stand on our own feet and don't need anyone else to make it. She never complained about the years my dad beat her and cheated on her, instead she asks us to forgive him. She taught me to treat everyone with respect, no matter who they were or what they possess. She showed me to have my own mind and to speak up when I want. Anytime I have a "tough" day, I remember what really matters and what others are going through.

I know I can do anything I put my mind to because of her. I respect myself because of her. I work so damn hard every day because of her. I am my mother's daughter and I don't know any other way to be.

2 comments: